©Mennonite Heritage Centre 2002
Last updated 21 June 2012
Title: Emmaus Mennonite Church fonds
Extent: 20 cm of textual records
Mennonites from Manitoba settled in the area south of Swift Current, Saskatchewan in 1905 onwards. More settlers came when the railway was built in the area after 1911. In 1913 the Conference of Mennonites in Canada began a work in the area to serve the families in the Wymark, Blumenhof, and Neville areas. The first baptisms occurred in the following years. In 1928 the congregation was officially founded with about 75 charter members. This was a multi-congregation Gemeinde with a meeting place near Wymark and another in Swift Current. It was called the Emmaus Mennonite Church. By 1940 the membership had reached 224. In 1959 the membership was 270. It was then decided to form two congregations so in 1960 the congregation in Swift Current was called the First Mennonite Church. In 1961 it changed its name to the Zion Mennonite Church. In 1962 the Wymark congregation was again referred to as the Emmaus Mennonite Church so it retained the original Gemeinde name. It had 40 members in 1962. The membership grew steadily to peak in 1990 at 77. Then it declined in 1992 to 50 and remained there to be 51 in 2000. The leaders of the congregation were: Isaac Wiens (1928-1935), Abram Bergen (1936-1946), V. Nickel (1938-1960), W. Zacharias (1950-1954), J. Friesen (1946-1958), Cornelius Kehler (1952-1964), Hans Dyck (1962-1967), Elwin Epp (1969-1972), Ruben Siemens (1973-1982), Stan Martens (1984-1985), Ken Schrag (1987-1990), Fred Heese (1968-1972, 1975-?), Ray and Sylvia Friesen (2004- ).
This fonds contains bulletins (1957-1986), directories (1978-1983), annual reports (1979-1984), congregational meeting minutes (1975-1985), constitutions ([196-?], 1978), membership and family registers and other register documents ([19-]-1984), a brief congregational history (1954), congregational statistics (1928-1959), and financial records (1939-1944). The records pertain to the Mennonite congregation in Wymark, Saskatchewan.
Inventory file list available.
See student papers collection: "The History of the Emmaus Mennonite Church of Swift Current and South" (1961) by Ernie Sawatsky. (MHC Vertical File).
No restrictions on access.
Textual records were deposited by the congregation and Mary Loewen in 1996 at the Mennonite Heritage Centre. Described by Bert Friesen 4 February 2002, updated by Conrad Stoesz May 1, 2009, updated by Alf Redekopp, 21 June 2012.