©Mennonite Heritage Centre 2002
Last updated April 17, 2002
Title: Herbert Mennonite Church fonds
Extent: 28 cm of textual records
The Mennonite congregation in Herbert, Saskatchewan was founded in 1905. They met in various places until 1908 when they completed their first meeting house. Over the following twenty years or so the difficulties of travel and scattered residences required other meeting places to be set up, and eleven others were so formed. By 1940 the membership in all these stations totaled 560. In 1952 the membership was 196. In 1968 a larger meeting house was completed. The membership was 130 in 1968. In 1981 it was 125 and in 1990, 114. In 1993 the congregation withdrew from the Mennonite conferences. The leaders of the congregation were: Franz Sawatzky (1905-1931), Jacob Wiens (1905-1933), Johann Redekop (1912-1922), Gerhard Buller (1917-1933), John Voth (1922-1924), Jacob Sawatzky (1924-1928), Gerhard Peters (1924-1926), John Neufeld (1924-1927), John Nickel (1926-1940), C. C. Peters (1927-1931), Frank Bückert (1928-1931), Jacob Berg (1931-1944), Frank Dyck (1935-1940), Jacob Doerksen (1935-1940), Isaac Derksen (1942-1945), Isaac Wiens (1936-1972), Jacob Klippenstein (1947-1958), Cornelius Wiebe (1947-1966), John Siemens (1960-1971), Jacob Froese (1973-1975), Menno Bergen (1975-1978), Kenneth Epp (1979-1989), Jakob Reimer (1990-1991), Doug Stump (1992-).
The fonds contains bulletins (1962-1991), annual reports (1975-1980), membership lists (1974-1980), pictorial directory (1980), and congregational histories (1969, 1980). The records document regular activities of this congregation and it participants. They show the main activities up to the time that the congregation withdrew membership from the conferences.
Inventory file list available.
No restrictions on access.
Textual records have been deposited by the congregation at the Mennonite Heritage Centre. Described by Bert Friesen 14 February 2002.