The Mennonite Church in
Altona dates back to 1601
when Graf Ernst von Schauenburg 1569 - 1622 came to power in Pinneburg.
Schauenburg made an agreement with his business agent Francois Noe II,
whose parents had fled from Antwerp about
twenty years earlier.
In return for Noe’s services he and a limited number of
families of his faith
could live on a parcel of land north of the Grosse Heerstrasse (later
Reichenstrasse, now the Konigstrasse) where they could graze their
develop industries that were not controlled by trade guilds and conduct
services in a quiet manner. The worship services were held in a
they built their first church on the Grossefreiheit in 1674. The church
burnt down by the Swedes in 1713 and rebuilt in 1717. In 1915 the
built a new church at 20 Mennonitenstrasse. The church on the
was destroyed in 1944.
1648 a small group left the Flemish Church and
formed the Dompelaar Church.
Jacob Denner 1659 - 1746
served as minister of that church for many years. His book of sermons Denner’s
Betrachtungen was used in Mennonite homes and churches for
almost two hundred