The Island of Chortitza (p. 43)
The village on the Island
of Chortitza known as Insel
Chortitza was settled in 1789 by twelve families. Delegate Jacob Hoeppner (1748
- 1826) and his family lived in that village. When the Mennonites in Russia
celebrated their centennial in 1889, a monument was erected for Jacob Hoeppner.
The monument has been relocated in Steinbach, Manitoba.
Only a “crushye” tree and some lilac bushes mark the grave site today.
The island served as a natural fortress for the nomadic
tribes that lived on the steppes since prehistoric times.